Wednesday, 15 July 2009

Cats Are Manipulative Psychopaths

Cats are basically bastards that exploit us by purring annoyingly when they want us to do something, according to researchers. Apparantly, when they're trying to get food, a cat's purr contains more high-frequency, cry-like sounds, which make it irritating. The paper's in Current Biology.

My cat has yet to master this technique - rather than embedding an annoying cry in his purr, he just meows annoyingly. And if you try to walk away from the food bowl without feeding him, he bites your feet.

10 comments:

Wuthering said...

funny, my boyfriend hates being manipulated, and probably not coincidentally doesn't like cats.

Mozglubov said...

I remember in a discussion on morality and evolution, someone bringing up the point that morality to a cat would be completely different than morality to a person. I don't remember the full discussion, but the point was basically along the same lines as yours... Of course, what it really boils down to is this picture.

Neuroskeptic said...

Morality to a cat would be very different, yes. And instead of porn, they would spend their time looking at movies of rapidly moving objects.

Michael Grayer said...

i can haz akademik lidjitimasi?

e said...

They are planning to take over the world you know, Just waiting for the right moment.

Spirit of 1976 said...

My cat has mastered the art of leaping on and off my computer keyboard whenever he thinks it's time for me to get off the internet and feed him.

In fact he's donaienting itnasnflsdjflk noaoweow.

Unknown said...

Not even "failure to feed." Rather doesn't like the particular brand of food. Our 14 year old cat doesn't bite feet. It simply goes to another member of family when it doesn't approve of the brand of food (approval of brands varies with time). The next family member recognizes the behavior and uses the incident to castigate his/her brother, sister, father, mother, husband, wife for insensitivity. These cats domesticated humans long ago.

kamagra said...

I've been reading this blog and I think you are doing the best contribution in this issues. I hope you keep up with this project. Seriously, I really liked what you did here. 23jj

Viagra without a prescription said...

This is really truth because I have cat at home, and he gets in my house just when he wants to eat, they're really imaginative and intelligent.

Anonymous said...

Cats have a really nice loyalty and they don't demand ur attention liike dogs,they are independant always clean,and stroking them reduces human blood pressure and aids relaxation!