The authors looked at the Google Trends for a selection of naughty words and phrases, and this revealed a pretty marked 6 month cycle for searches originating from the USA, with two yearly peaks in the search volumes. There was no such pattern for some non-sexual control words.
Here's the graph for pornography searches, with an idealized 6 month cycle also shown for comparison. The data were similar for two other categories of sexual words: prostitution and dating websites. Overall the results seem solid, although in studies like this, I always worry a bit about how the included search terms were chosen; there is a potential for cherry picking (no pun intended).
Those words in full:
The pornography keyword set included 10 keywords used in previous research that individuals tend to use when searching for pornography (‘‘porn,’’ ‘‘boobs,’’ ‘‘xvideos,’’ ‘‘tits,’’‘‘sex,’’ ‘‘pussy,’’ ‘‘hentai,’’ ‘‘xxx,’’ ‘‘nude,’’ and ‘‘milf’’).
In a similar manner, the prostitution keyword set included five keywords that individuals might use to engage in sexual activities that are often illegal (‘‘call girl,’’ ‘‘escort,’’ ‘‘massage parlor,’’ ‘‘brothel,’’ and ‘‘prostitute’’).
Finally, the mate-seeking keyword set included the names of 10 popular websites that individuals often use to find potential mates (‘‘eHarmony,’’ ‘‘Yahoo Personals’’, ‘‘AOL Personals,’’ ‘‘Plenty of Fish,’’ ‘‘Zoosk,’’ ‘‘Singles Net’’ ‘‘Friend Finder,’’ ‘‘JDate,’’ ‘‘Match.com,’’ and ‘‘Okcupid’’).Heh. I'm not sure I should be quoting those, it might attract some weird traffic to the blog. But oh well.
The authors note that a six-month sexual cycle has been reported before. It crops up in everything from abortion rates, to condom sales, and diagnosis of sexually transmitted infections. But why?
One possibility is that it's purely a social construction driven by the fact that in Western cultures, Christmas and summer are the main holiday seasons; but it could reflect a more primitive biological cycle. Google ought to offer a way to find that out, actually; find a country with a similar climate to the USA, but with different major holidays. China, maybe?

22 comments:
http://www.google.com/trends/?q=porn&ctab=0&geo=cn&geor=all&date=all
I do not think I see the trend (peaks at the end of the year), althouhg to do this properly, you would need the search terms in chinese and normalize the data as in the study.
My guess is that it is purely a social, vacation, thing
Most words mentioned and their Chinese translation are unfortunately "harmonized" and blocked as search terms in China...
I wouldn't be eager to rely on Chinese search data. New Zealand is different from the U.S. seasonally and fits this pattern.
Usa being extremely repressed on the subject might have something to do with it.
Fun fact, since 2006 in NL people use PRON instead of PORN to sidestep workfilters
http://www.google.com/trends/?q=pron&ctab=0&geo=nl&geor=all&date=all&sort=0
and for porn
http://www.google.com/trends/?q=pron&ctab=0&geo=nl&geor=all&date=all&sort=0
crap,
http://www.google.com/trends/?q=porn&ctab=0&geo=nl&geor=all&date=all&sort=0
ofcourse
Good point about Chinese censorship. Japan, South Korea, Taiwan maybe?
Yes New Zealand has different seasons, but the same culture as the USA. But aren't the seasons down there just 'reversed'? In which case, you'd expect the same pattern as the USA because it's 6 monthly. Annoying, if it were 12 monthly, it would be easier to test.
Another support for social, rather than biological explanations is the fact that "porn" is googled more on weekends than week days, and there is a tiny little bump on the forth of july (a wednesday) this year and 2007 (wednesday) and 2006 (tuesday)
http://www.google.com/trends/?q=porn&ctab=0&geo=us&geor=all&date=2012-7&sort=0
http://www.google.com/trends/?q=porn&ctab=0&geo=us&geor=all&date=2012-7&sort=0
http://www.google.com/trends/?q=porn&ctab=0&geo=us&geor=all&date=2006-7&sort=0
This post is perverted.
Your argument for seeing a 6 monthly pattern wouldn't work for NZ or Australia. Christmas/New Year and summer are at the same time. What's the explanation for a winter/July peak? (Actually, from the trend data, the trend does look more 12-monthly in NZ.)
I have personally observed, and seen the observation repeated in popular culture, that sunlight and warmth have effects that would lead to a peak in summer. Social effects look like the only possible explanation for the end-of-year peak, though.
to all the guys that posted before:
I don't think that anybody searching for porn would just google the word "porn". Really, it's just the same as if I wanted to go out watching a film and google "cinema".
Wouldn't be easier and more accurate to get the data from the, let's say, 10 biggest porn websites?
@Thhh: Not that you don't have a point here, but I think it is that simple. Usually when I want to go to see a movie I google 'cinema' followed by the place where I live. It's pretty efficient especially if you set your browser to remember your search terms. (admittedly it would be more efficient to just bookmark the cinema's website but it's such a small difference in effort that I never bothered with that).
I doubt that the traffic logs on the 10 biggest pornographic websites are publicly available
whenever I want to watch a film, i google, ehm, cinema...
One should first check its accuracy, but alexa.com monitor those data -or at least it claims to.
I just checked for a couple of the major websites according to wiki, and for both of them I found that:
- just around 10%-15% of their traffic comes from search engines
- almost all the "top ten keywords" searched to get to the sites were the site name itself (and its mispelling)
http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/youporn.com#
http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/redtube.com#
I don't think it's the whole pornographic world, but searching for those previous keywords wouldn't have make for a great investigation
I thought about this post more deeply. Thanks NS, you gave me some ideas. Not that sort.
Since they are keywords, and as the poster above indicates pornistas go directly to their favorite sites, maybe this cyclical activity reflects that of porn virgins?
Anyway, big picture: From a wide pan view like this it doesn't at all surprise me that there are predictable patterns in human activities of any kind. We are biological creatures and root of our behavior is biological.
To some aliens, humans must look to them like ant colonies look to us.
January to March is still the worst time to get born (currently mostly due to allergy peaks). So you'd expect some nature driven gap about 9 months before that.
My bf is more horny in the fall. I asked why and he hadnt thought about it. Maybe due to school starting or the amazing weather and beautiful colors. I dought that though. Wondered if you had any suggestions?
maybe it has something to do with college students having finals in early winter and early summer?
I do agree with you that pornography nowadays keeps on increasing. Mostly boys are fond of watching pornographic videos.
Since google is the most powerful search engine and whatever keywords you search google will answer.
And even if I like the Summer and all those related stuffs (the sun, the sea....) my favorite season is definitely the Winter.
Google should increase their security too for porno searchers.
Post a Comment