Saturday, 16 May 2009

Legal Highs

The past couple of weeks has seen British newspapers and politicians fretting about "legal highs". Legal highs are perfectly legal substances that "help people get out of their minds yet stay within the law" as the Guardian puts it.

Like Ritalin and booze, you mean? No, they're talking about things like
spice arctic synergy. You know, spice arctic synergy, the famous drug. No? Well, you know about it now, and so does everyone who reads the Guardian. I would be interested to see what the sales of spice arctic synergy are like in the next few weeks.

From what I can tell "spice" is just the latest of the many brands of "herbal highs" that can be bought in head shops and other such "alternative" retailers. Other famous brands are Druid's Fantasy, Aztec Acid, and Wizard's Willy. (I may have made some of those up.) These are blends of possibly psychoactive plants which can be smoked or eaten; the effects are supposedly a bit like cannabis or magic mushrooms but, at least so far as I'm told, mostly consist of nausea and headache. And wasting £20.

The consumer base for these silly products largely consists of teenagers who aren't cool enough to buy any proper drugs. On the drug credibility scale, most "legal highs" rank somewhere between sniffing glue and drinking your own pee after taking mushrooms in order to recapture some of the hallucinogens. (That works, allegedly.) No self-respecting drug user would be seen dead with any. Ban them, on the other hand, and everyone will want some.

To be fair, there are some genuinely potent legal drugs out there. Salvia divinorum, for example, contains a pharmacologically unique dissociative hallucinogen called salvinorin. Back when I was an uncool teenager a few friends of mine tried it, but they only ever took it once. The experience apparently amounted to ten minutes of terror and indescribable visions that seem to last hours; no-one I know who's taken it enjoyed it, and in the case of one of them it let him to vow never to take any hallucinogens ever again. I tried some, but it did nothing at all (except waste my money.) So it's a bit unpredictable.

Should it be banned? Maybe. It's certainly not stuff I would want my kids to go near, if I had any. Hypocritical as that might be. But that doesn't mean it's actually harmful, still less that prohibiting it would prevent harm overall (I suspect people would just find another drug to take, maybe an even dodgier one.) It would be worth a serious and evidence-based look, like all areas of drug policy, but given that the government have a history of hysterical shrieking whenever their own appointed experts try to do that, I'm not hopeful.

And when I read that one MP has made it his personal mission to stop Salvia, I just couldn't stop thinking of bisturbile cranabolic amphetamoids.

11 comments:

Peter Blanchard said...

I am glad that you have blogged about this. I think it got under a lot of people's radar...

The legal high market generally represents the triumph of marketing claims over the reality of experience. I can't envisage consumers of such products making a complaint to Trading Standards when their stuff tastes like dog turd and makes them dizzy for 5 minutes, rather than providing a psychedelic experience. Generally, the legal high market represents the dog-ends of psycho-active substances.

Neuroskeptic said...

Thanks - although not all legal highs are scams. Salvia's certainly powerful stuff.

Legal highs seem to be a perennial fascination of the newspapers. The Guardian seem to have run essentially the same article every year since 2005...

Grumpy, M.D. said...

Same thing on this side of the pond. Newspapers here pick up on this sort of crap and make a big deal of it, as something akin to the next plague that will destroy youth.

Generally the fads pass quickly when ignored.

And politicians will shriek hysterically over any perceived medical issue, as it will earn more votes for them then any reasonable scientific data ever will.

Anonymous said...

"I would be interested to see what the sales of spice arctic synergy are like in the next few weeks."
Absolutely. I know what my prediction would be, but it would be really interesting to find out if my hunch is right. I think we need more drug economics. (I would guess there'd be a short-term increase in use before people sussed that it was crap and moved on.)

Peter Blanchard said...

I've been thinking about this a bit more. One of the things about the Spice story is the disinformation that got put about regarding it's active ingredient. There were stories in the media that said it contained HU-210. Turned out not to be the case. It supposedly contains CP 47,497, which is rather dull by comparison.

HU-210 is a fascinating compound, but I can't really see it being found in Spice because it is expensive. Linking Spice to HU-210 probably did sales no harm at all. Yes, HU-210, is 800 times more potent than THC. But cannabis products can contain 20%-ish of cannabinoids by weight. The economics are just wrong...

CannaGuy said...

Yeah you're bang on the money there. There are some plants out there that will get you high as a kite, yet are legal - but they're hard to find and you certainly won't find them in Camden Square.

Salvia is definitely pretty crazy. I bought a bag once. Wouldn't say terrifying visions, but it was pretty damn trippy.

There are some things like blue lotos, etc which when combined right can lead to some nice smoking mixtures that actually work (was an uncool teenager myself), but most of the time if you buy it off the street you'll be wasting your money on headache dust.

Eric said...

Salvia is great but it way more trippy and intense than i'd like it too be. I just started a website that is selling herbal incense. This is no fake buds or a scamming website. Buy if you wish. I show the list of ingredients I used, manly it is extracts of those ingredients.
www.buyexplosion.tk
Make sure to check it out!

Anonymous said...

Mephedrone

Legal Weed said...

Its true to say most legal highs are a joke at best, especially most legal smokes (not all though) but as for the hallucinogenic mushrooms and seeds, there are a lot of very powerful products available. Anyone who's tried Hawaiian baby woodrose will agree with this! Last summer I took far too much and spent several hours wandering in paranoid circles around Hyde park having a very bad trip. Caution is advised in some cases!

legal drugs said...

I agree… being wise enough to know what the safe and legal drugs are is a must not only to teenagers but also to all responsible adults. There are safe herbal smoke in the market that could be used for party purposes.

kamagra said...

Alcohol is a great way to spend the whole life, Someday I will become a nihilistic alcoholic, and it doesn't matter it's completely legal!!